Ultimate Guide on How to Write an Opinion Essay (with Examples)
- Ultimate Guide on How to Write an Opinion Essay (with Examples)
- What is an opinion essay ?
- Opinion essay structure
- Opinion essay outline
- How to write an opinion essay. Opinion writing step-by-step
- 1. Read the instructions
- 2. Good opinion essay topic. How to choose the best one
- 3. How to start an opinion essay
- Hook ideas for an opinion essay
- 4. What to write in the main body
- 5. How to conclude an opinion essay
- 6. Title your essay
- 7. Edit and proofread
- Transitional words for expressing opinion
- Opinion essay sample
- Useful tips for an opinion essay
You have never written an opinion essay before and now need a good guide on opinion writing? Or have already written such essay but this time want to write a comprehensive paper and get an A? You are in the right place! In this article we will tell you how to write a good opinion essay, will reveal all the secret techniques of outline writing, and show examples. Our best essay writers participated in gathering these recommendations, so we are sure that you'll find them helpful!
What is an opinion essay ?
Opinion essay is a type of academic writing which presupposes presenting your opinion on a particular topic, idea, notion, etc. The opinion you present should be stated clearly and backed up by examples and evidence. The peculiarity of this essay type is that you should present opposing viewpoint in a separate paragraph.
Students often wonder whether opinion, editorial essay, persuasive or argumentative essays are the same. At the first sight these pieces of writing seem similar by nature as you have to present your arguments. The difference is that in argumentative and persuasive essays you present the strongest existing arguments. In opinion writing, you present only your own arguments and viewpoint.
Opinion essay structure
An opinion essay has a classical essay structure. It should consist of at least 5 paragraphs:
- Introduction paragraph. The role of the introduction is to catch reader’s attention, introduce the topic, and state your opinion on it.
- Thesis statement. Each essay should have a thesis statement. It is the main idea of the essay expressed in 1-2 sentences, which is usually place in the end of the introductory part.
- Main body paragraphs. In the main body paragraphs present your argument. Mind that in the opinion writing you should present at least two arguments and one counterargument.
- Conclusion. In the concluding paragraph restate your thesis statement in different words, summarize the main points discussed in paper, and provide a general conclusion.
Opinion essay outline
An opinion essay outline example looks as follows:
- Introduce the subject and provide general info about it
- Clearly express your opinion in a strong thesis statement
(the number of paragraphs in the main body depends on the number of arguments you will present. But there should be at least 2 + 1 counterargument)
- Viewpoint, ie.topic sentence
- Supporting idea, ie. example or evidence
- Concluding sentence
- Restated thesis statement
- Summary of the main points
- General conclusion
How to write an opinion essay. Opinion writing step-by-step
Opinion writing is easy if you know how to do it and follow a plan.
1. Read the instructions
The first step is to read the instructions carefully. If you do not understand some quirelines or have questions, do not hesitate to clarify them with your instructor. It is important to read the instructions to avoid situations when you have chosen the wrong topic, have completed the wrong essay type, or have written too long/short essay.
2. Good opinion essay topic. How to choose the best one
If you were not assigned a topic, you will have to choose it by yourself. Remember that a good easy topic is
- Interesting for you
- Chosen considering the audience
- Corresponds to the instructions
Some students find it difficult to pick one topic because they don’t know how to do it write. They take the first idea that comes to their mind, and then turns out that they are not well versed in this topic or have little information to cover it.
Don't know how to come up with a title for an essay? First, brainstorm and write down all the ideas that come to your mind. Then, leave only the most interesting. After this, make a research on the topics to make sure there is enough information available to discuss it in your essay. After this, choose the most pertinent one.
3. How to start an opinion essay
Start an opinion essay with a hook sentence to entice the reader to keep on reading. After this, introduce the topic you are going to discuss and provide some general information on it. Do not exaggerate and add too many details. After this, state your opinion on the discussed issue. It will be your thesis statement. Mind that a quote or a fact cannot be a thesis statement
Hook ideas for an opinion essay
The hook is a sentence the aim of which is to trigger the reader's attention. Here are some hook examples for essays:
- A thought-provoking question
- Shocking or unknown fact
- Interesting statistics
- A joke
- A real-life example
- A relevant quote
In opinion writing, a joke or a real-life example would work well to in catching the attention.
4. What to write in the main body
In the main body, present your arguments. Mind that in the opinion essay, there should be at least two arguments and one counterargument.
Each body paragraph should start with a topic sentence, which expresses that main idea of this paragraph that supports your thesis statement. Also, there should be a supporting sentence. Usually it is an example or supporting evidence. Look at the excerpt below and find supportive information and topic sentence example.
On the other hand, it can be argued that Art and Music are just as significant as English and Math. For instance, learning how to draw or play an instrument can introduce a child to a whole new world. In addition to this, subject such as Art and Music can provide children with a well-rounded education rather than just basic skills.
You may apply OREO technique when writing your main body paragraphsO - opinion
R - reason
E - evidence or examples
O - opinion restated
5. How to conclude an opinion essay
In the conclusion part, restate your opinion, i.e. thesis statement. Also, summarize your main points. Important, do not copy-paste are repeat the ideas through the paper. Also, do not introduce new ideas or arguments that contradict the ideas you have presented in paper.
6. Title your essay
Title your essay after you have completed it. When you just start your opinion essay writing, it might be difficult to find the right title. When you have completed your paper and know all the details, you will easily come up with the most pertinent title for your opinion essay.
7. Edit and proofread
Always leave yourself at least a few minutes to proofread your essay and make sure it is devoid of any grammar, formatting, or stylistic mistakes. Also, check your paper for plagiarism before submission. Plagiarizing might cost you a grade or even a diploma.
Transitional words for expressing opinion
Use these linking words to express your opinion and for a smooth transition between ideas.
- I believe/think/feel (that)
- In my opinion/view
- I strongly believe
- To my mind
- The way I see it
- It appears/seems to me (that)
- I do not/agree that/with
- I couldn’t agree that/with
- I couldn’t disagree more that/with
- My opinion is that
- As far as I am concerned
- I completely agree/disagree with/that
- I am totally against
- I strongly disagree with/that
- On the other hand
Opinion essay sample
Have a look a opinion essay samples for better understanding of an essay structure.
Opinion essay about teenagers and adults.
Essay about space exploration
Useful tips for an opinion essay
Follow these simple tips from professional essay writers to make your opinion essay stand out
- State your opinion clearly
- Keep to classical essay structure (introduction, main body, conclusion)
- Do not forget about thesis statement
- Use linking word for coherence
- Use linking word for coherence
- Each main body paragraph should start with a topic sentence
- Thesis statement should be essay specific
- Do not use a quote as a thesis statement
- Make sure to include a counterargument in your essay
- Do not introduce new ideas in your conclusion
- Keep calm and proofread
After reading the article, you will definitely be able to write an opinion essay like a pro. However, if you need help with completing your essay, you can resort to online essay writers. A team of professionals will gladly help you write a convincing opinion essay following all the instructions just in several hours. If you want to be sure that the paper is plagiarism free, you will also be able to receive an originality report.