18 Outstanding Essay Conclusion Examples
One of the crucial parts of a writing piece is an essay conclusion. it is the last paragraph that creates the final impression from a paper. It is not enough just to summarize what was written in the body part. A writer must make the reader want to continue exploring the problem, share the author’s position, or finally get a clear understanding of an issue. It all depends on the essay type. Our team of professional paper writers has come up with essay conclusion examples and useful tips to help students master the art of concluding an essay logically and effectively. Check them out!
What Is a Conclusion of an Essay: Outline and Purpose
Conclusion is the last paragraph of any academic writing, no matter whether it is a school essay or college research paper. It is a compulsory structural part of an essay that gives a sense of closure. The purpose of writing a conclusion is to restate the main idea, summarize the key points discussed in the body of the paper showing how they support or prove your thesis, and draw a general conclusion.
What to write in a conclusion paragraph? A typical conclusion outline has three structural components:
- Restated thesis statement.
- Summary of the key points.
- General conclusion or ideas for broader implications of an issue.
How to Write a Conclusion Paragraph?
Don’t know how to start essay conclusions? No worries! We have prepared useful tips to help you write a good conclusion for your essay. Follow these simple steps:
- Restate the thesis statement. Start your essay conclusion with reminding readers of the main idea of your paper. However, do not just copy-paste the sentence from the introductory part. You should present the same claim but using different words.
- Summarize the main points. Proceed with analysis and summary the key ideas you have discussed in the body paragraphs. Show how these arguments support and prove your thesis statement.
- Sum up the whole essay. After analyzing the major ideas of the paper, draw up a general essay conclusion. If you do not know how to do it, try answering the So-what?-question. In case you write a conclusion for a research paper, you may be asked to identify the knowledge gap. Also, you may specify broader implications of the issue in the larger context for future research.
18 Good Conclusion Paragraph Examples
We have prepared essay conclusions for different types of papers. Check them out for better understanding of how to write a conclusion.
The purpose of argumentative paper is to take a stand on an issue. Check these argumentative essay conclusion examples to make your essay convincing.
The purpose of this essay type is to persuade the readers. Look through persuasive essay conclusion examples to understand how to write a conclusion that will help you win over the audience.
Critical thinking is required in this essay type. You should be able to analyze the whole piece of writing to create a strong final paragraph. Have a look at these analysis essay conclusion examples to get a general idea.
These essays are easy to write. The purpose of the narrative essay conclusion is to sum up everything described and discussed in the essay.
Expository essays aim to describe or explain ideas, notions, phenomena, etc. to the reader. Such papers require research to support the ideas and be able to provide evidence. Check out a conclusion sample of an expository essay.
Look at the English essay conclusion example below. It may refer to any type of paper.
Effective Strategies to Conclude an Essay
There exist several most common approaches that allow to conclude an essay logically and reasonably. Here they are.
- So what? This is the most common strategy. It presupposes summing up the paper by giving an answer to a short question So-what?
- Giving a larger context. This strategy mainly applies to the research papers. The main idea is to mention the areas of the issue that need further investigation.
- Rhetorical question. It is a provocative and intriguing question that does not need an answer. It gives readers food for thought. However, such conclusions might be not very effective in academic papers.
Also, we would like to remind you that there are some details that should not be included in the conclusion paragraph. Avoid:
- Retelling what was written in the paper
- Presenting new ideas
- Introducing facts or arguments that contradict the info discussed in the essay
- Adding in-text citations
- Copy-pasting sentences from the intro or body paragraphs
- Using phrases like in conclusion, in summary, to sum up, etc.
Essay conclusion is an essential part of a paper. If you miss it or make it weak, your essay will be incomplete. Thus, try your best to conclude an essay with a strong and balanced final paragraph. It should resonate with the essay introduction and body paragraphs, summarize the whole paper, and be written using parallel sentence structures.
Have a close look at conclusion sentence examples to ensure you are able to conclude an essay appropriately. If you have some questions or need help with your essay conclusion, you may ask for writing assistance. Experienced writers will help you write a logical and reasonable essay conclusion.
1. What are the components of a conclusion?
Essay conclusion usually has three main parts. They are: restated thesis statement, summary of the key points, and general conclusion. Make sure you include these parts in the final part to conclude an essay appropriately. Mind that just repeating the thesis and ideas will not work. Show your ability to analyze.
2. How to begin a conclusion?
In the last paragraph synthesize and summarize your paper. A reasonable conclusion starts with reminding readers the main idea of an essay. Make sure to paraphrase your thesis statement. Otherwise, it might seem you don’t really understand the point. Also, avoid starting the paragraph with such words as in conclusion, in summary, to conclude, to sum up, etc. It looks primitive and unprofessional.