Different Essay Types and Practical Tips How to Write Them Correctly
- Different Essay Types and Practical Tips How to Write Them Correctly
- Standard Rules for Writing and Editing the Essays
- Major Essay Types with Explanations and Writing Suggestions
- 1. Narrative Essays (Telling a Story)
- 2. Expository Essays (Just the Facts)
- 3. Descriptive Essays (Drawing a Picture)
- 4. Persuasive Essays/Argumentative Essays (Convince Me)
During a studying process in university or college, you have to write some academic papers, including essays (for example informative essay or exploratory essay). It requires specific skills and knowledge. Moreover, you need to work with inspiration and try to grab the attention of teachers or other readers. If you want to succeed in this field, you should learn more about various types of essays and how to write each of them properly.
Our article is a guide to the wide world of essays with clear instructions and efficient pieces of advice for students who want to surprise everyone with intriguing writing pieces.
Standard Rules for Writing and Editing the Essays
- Make a research and highlight your ideas. First of all, you should explore the main topic of your work. Learn as many sources as possible. The academic database, books, and latest newspapers can give you all needed information about your subject. If you have a demanding lecturer, you should ask him what sources are acceptable. Wikipedia is hugely popular, but you should carefully check some facts before writing them down. Proceeding from the information you’ve read, it is crucial to elaborate your own ideas. You should write conclusions that highlight your opinion, not only well-known facts and quotes of famous persons.
- Analyze other writing pieces. Read well-written essays on the similar topic. It can be students’ academic works or articles of recognizable writers. Visit some competent websites that show examples of college essays. Moreover, you shouldn’t just read them; you have to analyze them carefully. Try to be objective and notice mistakes as well as great ideas. You may borrow some style peculiarities and improve your writing works. Look at examples of proper words and expressions.
- Pick the main thesis points and create a plan. Among your numerous ideas and thoughts, choose the most valuable and use them in when writing an academic paper. Remember that good work must include research of proves and confirmations. When you know your major aim, you can create short essay plan. Make a start with your ideas and explain them with your pieces of evidence. On average, you need three proofs and arguments to each idea.
- Be consistent. A proper essay has a clear structure. Introduction, main part, and conclusion are crucial for any well-written academic work. An introduction is your chance to awake the readers’ interest. If you create your writing piece only for a teacher, he will read it whether or not, but if you want to cover wider audience, you should intrigue them from the first sentences. Include the description of the main topic at the beginning. After this, constrict your thoughts to a brief thesis that express your personal vision. Don’t use common phrases that can tire people who read your writing piece. A conclusion is also very important because it is an excellent opportunity to summarize the results of your research and emphasize problems and solutions you offer. You may find examples of proper articles in various niches.
- Editing process. Proofreading can improve your essay. It is crucial to detect and correct all grammar, punctuation, and style errors. However, it is not so easy to see all your mistakes, so you should do this in a few days. You will understand everything clearer and be more objective. Check all apostrophes, commas, quotation marks, colons and semicolons. Remove unnecessary words and make your writing piece more readable. For example, don’t use too many adjectives and avoid colloquial phrases, such as wouldn’t, shouldn’t, can’t, don’t and so on. If it’s hard for you to find right words, use Thesaurus. But don’t go overboard with complex and rare words that can make your paper less readable. Your writing piece will be more attractive and accurate if someone else read it. It is a good thing to hear critic from another person. You will find some problematic areas in your essay, and will be able to rewrite it before delivering to your teacher.
Now you know more about the qualified writing process. You’ve found out where you can read professional essay writing examples and know the main steps of the essay creation. But we want to dig deeper and tell you more about writing techniques for different essay types. This knowledge lets you be more pacific and accurate in writing, be it a simple essay or a 5 page paper.
Major Essay Types with Explanations and Writing Suggestions
1. Narrative Essays (Telling a Story)
Are you a good storyteller? Then, you won’t face any problems when writing this type of essay. A narrative essay supposes that the writer shares his/her personal experience with the reader. The goal of this piece of writing is to tell an engaging story with an interesting plot. Like any story, this type of essay should be well-structured. You need to start with a hooking introduction, reveal the main idea of the story plot, include setting and climax. Make sure that your story is clear and concise. You’ll achieve success if you manage to evoke the necessary emotions in your target audience. Remember that the story you tell to your friends will differ from the one you tell your teacher. So, make sure that all the thoughts and ideas are well-organized and the story has a logical conclusion. A narrative essay type provides writers with an opportunity to express themselves.
2. Expository Essays (Just the Facts)
An expository essay type is just about factual information. The main characteristic of this type of academic writing is that the reader isn’t interested in the writer’s point of view. The task of the author is to use credible information sources and give facts with explanations only. You are supposed to analyze different pieces of information, discuss the cause and the effect, explain the details briefly. Write from the 2d person and make your piece of academic writing clear and organized. Make sure your analysis essay is smooth. You’re recommended to write an outline before you get started as it’ll help you complete this type of essay.
3. Descriptive Essays (Drawing a Picture)
It’s easy to guess a descriptive writing definition. It is clear from the name of this essay type that it should describe something. Descriptive essays should contain as many details as possible for the reader to have a clear picture of the object, person, emotion, personal experience, or event that is described. The writer should make sure that he/she has a rich vocabulary to make it so that the reader sees the picture with his/her own eyes. Descriptive essays should contain many adjectives related to the topic. It’s one of the different types of essays where each small detail in the composition matters. If you want to find out how professional writers work, you can check out here.
4. Persuasive Essays/Argumentative Essays (Convince Me)
Writing a persuasive essay, you have a great chance to try the role of a lawyer who argues a case. The task of the writer is to convince the reader that his/her standpoint is true. Choose a topic you feel passionate about, conduct research, identify whether you are “for” or “against” a certain issue, and collect the arguments based on credible sources of information. The most common mistake of most students when writing an argumentative essay is that they do their best to prove that their opinion is correct without explaining why the opposite one is incorrect. An A-grade argumentative essay paper should contain solid evidence that a certain way of thinking is the only right one. Show your analytical mind like when you write a rhetorical analysis essay or a literary analysis paper.
You can add illustrative examples to make your paper more convincing for readers. The main body of your literary piece of writing should include both “for” and “against” options. The reader shouldn’t question himself/herself whether the writer’s position is correct or not. For this, you should make the paper clear and concise with the help of expert opinions that support yours.
No matter what kind of essay you have to write, it must be original, engaging and grammatically correct. Don’t be afraid to express your opinion if needed, use only truthful information, check your work carefully and follow our writing suggestions. We highly appreciate the view of our readers. Share your experience in essay writing in comments below and let us know if our article was useful for you.