- How to Write an Informative Essay: Making the Process as Exciting as Possible!
- What is an Informative Essay?
- How to Write an Informative Essay: General Tips to Keep in Mind
- Informative Essay Outline: 3 Main Elements
- How to Write an Informative Essay Introduction?
- Expert Tip:
- How to Write an Informative Essay Body Paragraphs?
- How to Write an Informative Essay Conclusion?
- Free Informative Essay Outline Example
- Main Body
- Works Cited
- 40 Stunning Informative Essay Topics
- Informative Essay Topics for College Students
- Good Informative Essay Topics
- Informative Essay Topics for Middle School
- Easy Informative Essay Topics
- Informative Essay Examples
One may argue that any academic essay in the world is an example of the informative essay as it provides specific information on a chosen topic. From one side, it is true, but this type of writing has its specific features. In the article below, the experts explain the way to write such assignment, provide examples, and share the top list of informative essay topics.
A student may be running out of time because of the overloaded schedule. If it happens to you, and you cannot afford to spend a lot of money on the solution, select a cheap online essay writing service, which offers custom works of the high quality.
What is an Informative Essay?
The most popular types of academic essays include:
- Argumentative essay
- Persuasive essay
- Opinion essay
- Cause-&-effect essay
- Compare & Contrast essay
- Reflective essay
- Descriptive essay
- Informative essay
- Synthesis essay
Most of the students tend to believe the last one is the simplest assignment. Teachers stress it might be the most challenging task. It is not enough to describe a specific topic – a student should act as an expert in the chosen field by providing specific examples and educating the audience on the given problem. The essay should be informative and encourage at the same time.
Conclusion: An informative essay is a type of academic writing assignment, given at any educational level no matter what the field of study is, which aims to provide basic information and in-depth knowledge of the selected topic.
How to Write an Informative Essay: General Tips to Keep in Mind
If you wish to learn how to write an informative essay, it is important to discuss the whole process step-by-step to make it clear.
- Brainstorm to come up with the list of great topics. Conduct research to find which of the offered topics has most of the related, credible, and up-to-date materials before making a final decision. Think about which of the potential topics would be the most beneficial for the reader. Example: Eating disorders are a relevant topic for the modern society (it could be a perfect informative essay title).
- Create a sound, tentative thesis statement before writing. Think about what you wish to share with the reader, reasons why the specific problem is important, and how to persuade the audience of the issue’s significance. It could be something like, “The progressing eating disorders caused 13% of the deaths in the United States during the last year.” If a student writes something like that, he/she should recall a source of the statistics.
- Write a draft. In the initial draft, list the questions related to the chosen topic along with the facts you know based on personal knowledge and experience. Provide specific examples from real life to prove that you have faced the issue. You may specify how many eating disorders and their consequences you observed during the lifetime. Compare the number of females and males suffering from this problem. A writer may recall the number of young and older adults who experience various eating disorders to complete an informative essay.
- Observe the selected topic online and in the library. It is important to choose credible, relevant, and up-to-date sources meaning they should not be older than 5 years (start from textbooks and end up with journals and scholarly articles). Interviewing people is another great way to collect information.
- Write the body.
- Review the final draft before submitting it. It is possible to apply different free online sources, paid apps, or hire professional editors online to check if the text corresponds to the highest quality standards.
Informative Essay Outline: 3 Main Elements
An informative essay outline is an action plan, similar to the table of contents, which helps a writer not to get lost while working on the essay. Writing an outline is not obligatory. Experts recommend writing this part, in any case, to prevent yourself from facing a writer’s block in the middle of the process.
An outline for this type of academic essay is common. Have a look at the way each integral part of the informative essay is written in the sections below, and pay attention to the offered example.
How to Write an Informative Essay Introduction?
The initial stage is an introduction, which should start with the sound hook sentence to make the reader interested in what a writer plans to share.
“Among all hooks, try to focus on using jokes, statistics, facts, famous quotes, anecdotes, similes, and metaphors. Example: “Eating disorders is one of the leading killers of young girls.” Introduce the topic with its background in a couple of sentences. End up with a powerful thesis statement, which points to the necessity of topic research. Do everything possible to lure the audience's interest in the initial paragraph.”
Catherine Doyle, The University of Michigan professor and editor at Pro-Essay-Writer
How to Write an Informative Essay Body Paragraphs?
Apply the body part to inform the target audience about the peculiarities of the topic. Share some interesting facts, go into the possibly unknown details, or reflect a common knowledge in a new light to make readers intrigued. The three integral elements of each body paragraph are the claim, supporting evidence, and explanation.
How to Write an Informative Essay Conclusion?
End up the paper by providing a summary of the obtained skills and the main points listed in the body of your informative essay. Avoid adding any new information and questions. Bring the closure to the paper while maintaining the reading audience’s interest in the offered topic/research problem.
Free Informative Essay Outline Example
The example of an outline will help to understand how to write an informative essay. The topic is the influence of smoking on the human organism.
- Define the topic (what smoking is).
- Provide short background information on smoking (the way people obtain this bad habit, reasons to become addicted, and what happens if the person decides to quit smoking).
- Create a thesis statement. It could be the relationship between the smoking and the increased risk of various dangerous lung diseases). Identify the scope of the informative essay.
- Smoking and different risky lung diseases.
- Describe the way smoking can impact human organism in other harmful ways (example: heart attack, brain activity, etc.)
- The ways to quit smoking/release form this harmful addiction.
- Reword the thesis sentence(s). Recall the correlation between different types of lung and heart diseases and a bad habit such as smoking.
- Reiterate the significance of the research on the outcomes of smoking.
- Offer some forecasts for the future (example: “If the American nation does not quit smoking in the closest future, it might result in…”).
Cite every citation used in the text. Reference the sources. Provide each entry in the References page according to the required academic format (from MLA to Harvard).
It is time to move to the informative essay topics. You can get more topic ideas by following the suggested link.
40 Stunning Informative Essay Topics
The time has come to observe the list of the best informative essay topics
Informative Essay Topics for College Students
- Various types of natural disasters
- The consequences of consuming fast food in great amounts
- Ecological issues humanity faces today
- Plastic surgery: its role in the modern world
- Effective, time-tested methods to overcome stressful situations
- Measures people can take to defend nature
- What is slow food?
- How is smoking dangerous to our health?
- What does a healthy lifestyle involve?
- The history of alcoholic beverage industry
Good Informative Essay Topics
- Reveal the nature of domestic violence
- The basic trends in alternative medicine
- The history and development of social networks
- Prostitution: Definition, background, and pros & cons
- The process of winning a lottery
- The problem of illegal immigration
- Racism in modern American society
- Is the Internet the most revolutionary invention ever?
- Is it possible that marijuana can be helpful for human health?
- What causes violence on college campuses?
Informative Essay Topics for Middle School
- The way homeless people survive
- School textbooks cost
- Childhood obesity: Causes and outcomes
- Why does censorship on TV exist?
- Talk about favorite book
- The way cell phone functions
- Useless school laws
- The way gravity works
- The life cycle of any insect of choice
- Things that make bloggers popular
Easy Informative Essay Topics
- Using Mac computers
- A presentation on artificial intelligence
- Doing a diploma coursework in French
- Building a wood cabin
- Describe the way to shoot a horror film
- The percentage of female leaders in male jobs
- What preventive measures should school board take to prevent bullying?
- Is it an obligation to wear hijab o campus?
- How can we differentiate a fever from a typical cold/flu?
Informative Essay Examples
Where can a student get free informative essay examples? Having a vivid example in front of your eyes is the best warranty of successful work. Surf the internet to find what you need. Many free examples of various academic papers on different topics are available online, and we suggest to have a look at one of the numerous top samples.
Students who find it difficult to write an informative essay after reviewing examples and tips from experts do not have to panic. Have you heard about online writing services? There is no need to waste a lot of money on custom writing. Contact one of the cheapest and fastest essay writing team on the web to get any type of academic assignment done before the deadline.