Have you already faced the need to write a cool argumentative essay in your English class? The most difficult part is, perhaps, choosing the topic. When your teacher does not assign you a specific subject to discuss, you feel free and excited to choose your own idea. However, it has to be relevant and related to your course matter, so it's not that easy to decide on the specific problem.
Most of the time, students try to pick a topic idea based on the following criteria:
- Previous research findings (learn how to present them)
- Availability of information
- Relevance of available sources
- Argumentative essay examples on the web
- Academic level (high school, college, or university)
What Makes a Good Argumentative Topic?
There is one important word every student should keep in mind when picking the argumentative essay topic - "debatable." Your work has to motivate readers to continue the discussion instead of simply receiving information. That is why it is important to use both arguments that support your main idea and opposing views. It's not interesting to read about what people tend to agree on.
Keep in mind that there are always two sides of the coin. Thus, you should write down at least one argument "against" your thesis to encourage your audience to read the paper from cover to cover and participate in further research. To help your readers, include the full list of bibliography with all relevant sources.
We have created the list of the best argumentative essay topic ideas to help high school and college students choose better cases. Who knows - maybe, you are the next great researcher who will provide new answers and evidence to the topics associated with the legal, moral, social, media and family aspects of human life.
Find the most driving argumentative essay topics in the next section of our article. Only once you make your decision regarding the subject, you may move to the five-paragraph essay structure.
Mind These Legal Topic Ideas
Legal topics suit the majority of argumentative essays as issues in law are the most contradictory and widely discussed. Such papers focus on private and public regulations, ways to control society, and laws which often change or just about being created. It's not a secret that society is often unhappy with the newly released regulations, so it's up to you to write about the good and bad moments in your argumentative paper. Students of Business Schools and colleges that teach law would simply love these topics:
- What is the best alternative for the death penalty?
- Should scientists who conduct cruel experiments on animal species be punished?
- Gun control as another measure to manage society.
- Abortions should be made illegal.
- The causes of domestic violence.
- Marijuana is still dangerous to be legalized.
- Mentally disabled people can hold guns to protect themselves.
- How can the government fight prostitution?
- At what age should females obtain access to birth control?
- New Act which forbids the usage of particular social networks is a threat to human freedoms
Topics on Different Moral Issues
Argumentative essay ideas can be related to the moral aspects of human life. People often argue what is moral and ethical, so it's your chance to write about a real life case which is rather contradictive from this point of view. Here is the list of moral topic examples:
- Can a research industry survive without testing animal species?
- Rich people should share their earnings with the poor ones
- Minority interests must be taken into account during the next elections
- Does suicide help to escape all problems?
- Children cannot soberly evaluate the way they look
- Moral problems associated with obesity
- Consumers should not purchase goods from companies who use cheap child labor
- Nude images must be banned in public places
- Restriction of certain media channels is against the human rights
- Is the American nation really free?
Look at Some Good Social Topics
These ideas on social topics may be helpful for your upcoming argumentative essay. The main idea is to write about the ways individuals act within society, their physical and mental needs, and types of pressures these individuals face while interacting with other humans.
The best thing about an argumentative essay which contains social issues is that you can describe your personal experience on the example of the real life case.
The examples of social topics are listed here:
- School students must have a right to choose their college according to the future professional career
- Which is the best age to start voting on elections in the US
- The issues immigrants from the Third World face in the United States
- Which language should be made the second official in the US?
- Will society ever accept marriages between people with different colors of skin?
- Is it OK to allow homosexual marriage?
- How should people choose with whom to make friends?
- There is no such thing as friendship between man and woman
- Can virtual dating replace a real partner?
- School hierarchy limits student's freedoms
Media & Advertising Related Essay Ideas
A modern society totally depends on promotion and advertising. Different media channels such as TV channels and social networks have a great impact on human life. You may be interested in analyzing this impact as well as other issues media use to control the human mind in your argumentative essay.
If you need to find inspiration, turn your TV or radio on to look for the best ideas. If you need free examples of ready papers, go to the corresponding website.
We offer the following examples of good argumentative essay topics related to media:
- What can be shown during the prime time on TV?
- Internet users should not create interest groups on forbidden topics
- Arguments for and against anorexia fashion
- Movies and TV shows need to stress the issues and problems faced by minorities
- Is print advertising obsolete?
- The principles of advertising in schools and colleges
- TV shows with violence must be banned forever
- Violent video games destroy the human mind
- Modern journalists should get rid of the bias
- Celebrities will help society more by acting rather than talking
- World and Family Argumentative Essay Ideas
If you want to share as many examples from your personal life and experience as possible, most probably you will recall your family and friends. You may look for various family topics to write your argumentative essay on in case you find it hard to cope with some family responsibilities. Perhaps, you just want to show how a perfect family should look like.
Use these family topic examples to write an argumentative paper on the most important family values:
- How parents prevent their children from abortion?
- At what age is it moral and ethical to learn about sex from parents?
- Parents are not responsible for all actions of their children
- Family must restrict access to violent video games if they damage childrenâ€™s brain
- Parents should not insist on the specific professional career for their children
- Divorced parents should both take care of their children
- At which age should teenagers start working and earning per living
- How is life on college campus different from life with your family?
- Do single people have a right to adopt kids?
- Is it a good idea to pay children for A+ papers?
All of these argumentative essay topics are debatable, important for the entire society, and interesting to discuss. Besides, there is enough space to offer your own ideas and new solutions to the existing issues/problems.
Final Opinion on Argumentative Essays
You have to treat such assignment as an argumentative paper as a chance to share personal life experience or life case instead of treating it as a nightmare or rough challenge. When addressing homework tasks, high school and college teachers simply want to make your academic performance better by improving your:
- Research skills
- Reading and comprehension
- Writing skills
- Structure of the academic essay
- Knowledge of the particular subject
It is your chance to show your strong sides and offer new ideas to the world. You may use the best argumentative essay and other academic works in the future. A good example may be a professional career as a journalist: in case you have worked on a great social or legal research paper, you may want to share it with the media. This way, the society will learn about one more talented writer. It is also an opportunity to learn more about another country and culture.
Once you take care of the topic selection, you should start gathering information from the credible and up-to-date sources. Try to choose sources which are no older than five years. Use in-text citations and facts as the evidence to support your main argument (a.k.a. thesis statement).
In case you have wrapped up your main argument, but you lack the idea of what's next, you have a reason to find online academic writing service. It is hard to find a great website with free examples of argumentative papers and cheap custom essays. The best answer is a time-tested writing and editing company number one in the United States. Order an essay of any type and on any school or college topic to earn the highest possible grade from your tutor!