- 50 Most Successful Argumentative Essay Topics You Are Looking For
- What is an argumentative essay
- Most of the time, students try to pick a topic idea based on the following criteria:
- What Makes a Good Argumentative Topic?
- Mind These Legal Topic Ideas
- Topics on Different Moral Issues
- Look at Some Good Social Topics
- Media & Advertising Related Essay Ideas
- Argumentative Essay Topics for High School and College 2020
- Argumentative essay topics for High School
- Argumentative essay topics for College
- Final Opinion on Argumentative Essays
During education process, one of the most popular tasks is to write a cool argumentative essay in an English class. The most controversial part is, perhaps, choosing the effective topic. When your teacher does not assign you a specific subject to discuss, you should choose your own idea. However, it has to be relevant, persuasive, and related to your course matter; so, it's not that easy to decide on the specific problem.
What is an argumentative essayAn argumentative essay is the type of academic assignment which presupposes investigating the topic, providing evidence to support arguments, and taking a certain position regarding the issue. This type of the assignment is often confused with expository essay, which also aims to explain the topic. However, the main difference is that expository essay presupposes only sharing facts, which argumentative essay presupposes that the author will take a certain position regarding the discussed issue.
Argumentative essays are also confused with persuasive writing. The main difference between these essay types is that in argumentative writing the author just chooses the side for or against the issue, while in the persuasive essay the aim of the author is to convince the audience to take their view point.
The difference between argumentative essay and Rogerian argument is that in the Rogerian model the writer should find a middle ground considering all the arguments.
Most of the time, students try to pick a topic idea based on the following criteria:
- Previous research findings (learn how to present them)
- Availability of information
- Relevance of available sources
- Argumentative and persuasive essay examples on the web
- Academic education level (high school, college, or university)
What Makes a Good Argumentative Topic?
There is one important word every student should keep in mind when picking an argumentative essay topic - "debatable." Your work has to motivate readers to continue the discussion instead of simply receiving information. That is why it is important to use both arguments that support your main idea and opposing views. Avoid writing about something global people tend to agree on, like, for example, “Lives and health of rare animals is in danger”.
Keep in mind that there are always two sides of the coin. Thus, you should write down at least one argument "against" your thesis sentence to be persuasive enough and encourage your audience to read the paper from cover to cover and participate in further research. To help your readers, include the full list of bibliography with all relevant sources.
We have created the list of the best argumentative essay topic examples and tips to help high school and college students choose better cases. Who knows - maybe, you are just in a few steps from becoming the next great researcher who will give new answers and provide evidence to the topics associated with the legal, moral, social, technology, media, and family aspects of people’s lives.
Find the most driving argumentative essay topics and tips in the next section of our article. Only once you make your decision regarding the subject, you may move to the five-paragraph essay structure.
Mind These Legal Topic Ideas
Legal topics suit the majority of argumentative essays as issues in law are the most contradictory, controversial, and widely discussed. Such papers focus on private and public regulations, ways to control society, and laws which often change or just about being created. It's not a secret that society is often unhappy with the newly released system and regulations; so, it's up to you to place the information about the good and bad moments in your argumentative paper. Students who obtain education in Business Schools and colleges and study law would simply love these topics:
- What is the best global alternative for the death sentence?
- Should scientists who conduct cruel experiments on animal species be punished?
- Gun control as another measure to manage society.
- Abortions should be made illegal.
- The causes of domestic violence.
- Marijuana is still dangerous to be legalized.
- Mentally disabled people can hold guns to protect themselves.
- How can the government fight prostitution?
- At what age should females obtain access to birth control?
- New Act which forbids the usage of particular social networks is a threat to human freedoms
Topics on Different Moral Issues
Argumentative essay ideas can be related to the moral aspects of human life. People often argue what is moral and ethical; so, it's your chance to write about a real life case which is rather contradictive from this point of view. Here is the list of moral topic examples:
- Can a research industry survive without testing animal species?
- Rich people should share their earnings with the poor ones
- Minority interests must be taken into account during the next elections
- Does suicide help to escape all problems?
- Children cannot soberly evaluate the way they look
- Moral problems associated with obesity
- Consumers should not purchase goods from companies who use cheap child labor
- Nude images must be banned in public places
- Restriction of certain media channels is against the human rights
- Is the American nation really free?
- Gender discrimination must be abolished
Look at Some Good Social Topics
These ideas on social topics may be helpful for your upcoming argumentative essay. The main idea is to outline the ways individuals act within society, their physical and mental needs, and types of pressures people face while they contact with other humans.
The best thing about an argumentative essay which contains social issues is that you can describe your personal experience and give the example of the real life case.
The examples of social topics are listed here:
- School students must have a right to choose their college for education according to the future professional career
- The best age to start voting on elections in the US
- The issues immigrants from the Third World face in the United States
- Which language should be made the second official in the US?
- Does modern technology bring more harm than usefulness?
- Will society ever accept marriages between people with different colors of skin?
- Is it OK to allow homosexual marriage?
- How should people choose with whom to make friends?
- There is no such thing as friendship between man and woman
- Can virtual dating technology replace a real partner?
- School hierarchy limits student's freedoms
Media & Advertising Related Essay Ideas
A modern society totally depends on promotion and advertising. Different media channels such as TV channels and social networks have a great impact on human life. You may be interested in analyzing this impact as well as other issues and technology media use to control the human mind in your argumentative essay.
If you need to find inspiration, turn your TV or radio on to look for the best ideas. If you need free examples of ready papers, go to the corresponding website. If you need an outline for your future essay, feel free to contact our professional service. Otherwise, you may place an order and get a perfectly completed work without any problems!
We offer the following examples of good argumentative essay topics related to media:
- What can be shown during the prime time on TV?
- Internet users should not create interest groups on forbidden topics
- Arguments for and against anorexia fashion
- Movies and TV shows need to stress the issues and problems faced by minorities
- Is print advertising obsolete?
- The system of advertising in schools and colleges
- TV shows with violence must be banned forever
- Violent video games destroy the human mind
- Modern journalists should get rid of the bias
- Celebrities will help society more by acting rather than talking
- World and Family Argumentative Essay Ideas
If you want to share as many examples from your personal life and experience as possible, most probably you will recall your family and friends. You may look for various family topics to write your argumentative essay in case you find it hard to cope with some family responsibilities. Perhaps, you just want to show how a perfect family should look like.
Use these family topic examples to write an argumentative paper on the most important family values:
- How parents prevent their children from abortion?
- At what age is it moral and ethical to learn about sex from parents?
- Parents are not responsible for all actions of their children
- Family must restrict access to violent video games if they damage children’s brain
- Parents should not insist on the specific professional career for their children
- Divorced parents should both take care of their children
- At which age should teenagers start working and earning per living?
- How is life on college campus different from life with your family?
- Do single people have a right to adopt kids?
- Is it a good idea to pay children for A+ papers?
- Is the child free to choose other religion than his parents?
All of these argumentative essay topics are debatable, important for the entire society, and interesting to discuss. Besides, there is enough space to offer your own ideas and new solutions to the existing issues/problems.
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School and College 2020
If you are a High School or College student and do not have a particular direction in the topic choice and just want to find a good topic, check these lists.
Argumentative essay topics for High School
- Should High School students be allowed to study only those subjects they choose?
- Is deah penalty a crime?
- Which language is worth learning in 2020
- Should teenagers be allowed to participate in elections?
- The influence of the COVID-19 on education
- Will wearing uniforms in schools help avoid bullying?
- Social networks should be banned in educational establishments
- Should celebrities be given priorities
- The influence of Instagram and TikTok on the body image perception among teenagers
- Is online education as effective as traditional face-to-face classes?
Argumentative essay topics for College
- Opportunities the US education system offers to international students
- Smoking in public places should b prohibited
- Do technologies connect peeople or make the lonelier
- The most effective US President through history
- Consequences of the global lockdown for the global economy
- Does Black Lives Matter movement promote awareness or inequality
- Is Cancel culture toxic?
- Healthy ways to cope with stress
- Should college students be allowed to have part-time jobs or focus of studies only?
- Should students receive scholarship for achievements in sport?
Final Opinion on Argumentative Essays
You have to treat such assignment as an argumentative paper as a chance to share personal life experience or life case instead of treating it as a nightmare or rough challenge. When addressing homework tasks, high school and college teachers simply want to make your academic performance better by improving your:
- Research skills
- Reading and comprehension
- Writing skills
- Structure of the academic essay
- Knowledge of the particular subject
It is your chance to show your strong sides and offer new ideas to the world. You may use the best argumentative essay and other academic works in the future. A good example may be a professional career as a journalist: in case you have worked on a great social or legal research paper, you may want to share it with the media. This way, the society will learn about one more talented writer. It is also an opportunity to learn more about modern technology, system of education, or another country, place, and culture.
Once you take care of the topic selection, you should start gathering information from the credible and up-to-date sources. Try to choose sources which are no older than five years. Use in-text citations and facts as the evidence to support your main argument (a.k.a. thesis statement).
In case you have wrapped up your main argument but still lack the idea of what's next, you have a reason to find online academic writing service. It is hard to find a great website with free examples of argumentative papers and cheap custom essays. The best answer is a time-tested writing and editing company number one in the United States. Order an essay of any type and on any school or college topic to earn the highest possible grade from your tutor!