Would you like to improve editing skills to polish your own essays? Or maybe you wish to get the job of an editor and correct the mistakes of other writers in the future? In any case, you should understand that to create a perfect work, it is necessary to have both writing and editing skills. On the one hand, the jobs of a writer and an editor are two different things. On the other hand, they cannot exist separately from one another. Here we are going to have a look at how to become a better editor and, as a result, to become a better writer.
Being a really great essay editor is impossible without being a talented writer who is able to express his/her thoughts in a clear and concise manner. Some mistakenly think that editing is just correcting grammar and spelling mistakes. It is not so. When editing a piece of writing, sometimes, an editor needs to rewrite whole abstracts of the work to make it perfect. Are you ready to improve your writing and editing skills? Then, follow simple tips that really work if you're a writer or an editor. Discover how you can contribute to your writing skills if being a good editor and vice versa.
Learn How to Write without Errors by Reading Good Quality Literature
Reading is fundamentally different from watching a film because the latter begins and ends regardless of whether you see it or not. The book involves a conscious effort from your side, demands you to be active from the very beginning. When you do it, you become able to reflect, which is a great practice to your writing skills.
“The editor-writer relationship should not be thought of as adversarial.”
It may sound obvious, but you should know — you won’t be able to properly express yourself on paper unless you’re well-read. If you want to become a better editor, read books. Of course, you cannot read all of them, but at least try not to limit yourself to one genre, as there are way more of them. Scientific and philosophical books have much to teach you as a writer and an editor as well. You will notice your skills grow soon enough after you start exploring the world of literature.
Rewriting Can Teach to Express Same Idea in Different Ways
It is also useful to take advantage of this curious approach. Truth be told, once you start reading books of one particular author, you get used to his or her writing style, as well as ideology and mindset. But trying to imitate that will boost your writing abilities even more because our muscle memory also contributes to skill development.
How to become a better editor rewriting essay texts? Rewriting helps pay attention to the little things not noticeable with a simple reading. You begin to understand all unobvious meanings of each phrase, colors and tones of each word and how it affects the overall sentence. These skills are crucial to every editor. True, it is impossible to teach to write, therefore the most important thing in enhancing writing skills is to understand whether a particular syntactic element should be used or not. Rewriting of your favorite books will help you edit your essay better.
Revision Is the Key to Successful Edits
Every good writer should write a draft and edit it only after some time passes to look at it with fresh eyes. Most students hand in papers containing errors due to the fact that their writing ends when they put a full point. In reality, things are different. It is recommended to check your piece of writing the following day to find the errors you could miss. Only after edits of the draft have been made, you may get started with the essay. To make sure it is free of any mistakes, use modern software tools, which will ease your grammar checking and decrease spelling mistakes.
Get Feedback from Writing and Editing Guru
When you are just making your first steps to the desired goal, you're recommended to show your work to a specialist. Professional editors will provide you with the feedback, which will be of great use to you. Why is it a good idea to ask the editor to have a look at your work? There are three reasons. So, a good editor will help you:
- Find errors you haven't paid attention to.
- Analyze whether the essay meets all the necessary writing standards.
- Evaluate the general meaning of the essay.
You may want to ask your teacher to give an assessment of the work you’ve done.
Never Neglect These Four Stages of Editing
The process of text editing consists of several stages, which are crucial for a positive result. Check what they are if you want to become a successful editor.
- Assessment of the text plot and structure. Each format has its own requirements and standards. When starting editing, it is first necessary to determine whether these requirements and standards are met. Is the text easy for perception? Is it divided into logical blocks? If not, do it. For the brain, it is an extra load to read the text which doesn't have the subtitles inside the essay. They help the reader to quickly grasp the essence and highlights he/she is really interested in.
- Text analysis from the logical side. Does the text reveal the topic? Postpone editing the text for at least 24 hours after writing. It is better to start editing the text even later, in 48 hours — you'll be able to do it with a fresh look. The reader may forgive you a couple of typos but never forgive the "essay about nothing". First of all, the essay should be relevant. It should give a detailed answer to the stated topic. It is the first and most important thing in any kind of text.
- Actual text analysis. It's time to do a fact-check. Check whether all dates, facts, names, figures, data are true. Even the minor typo might lead to the wrong understanding of things. This especially refers to names.
- Analysis and evaluation of language and style. In fact, the editor's job is not to correct mistakes, this is the work of the proofreader, however, only large companies can afford to hire both. In most cases, an editor polishes the essay. If you are an editor of your own pieces of writing, nobody else but you must correct mistakes besides analyzing language and style. And this, as you've noticed, is the last, and by no means the first, stage in text editing.
Hope now you have a better understanding on how to become a better editor. As you see, it is not as easy as ABC. But nothing is impossible if you devote enough time to improving your editing and writing skills, which are interconnected.
We are sure our great tips will help you to complete a brilliant paper. Do you lack time for writing and editing your essay? Not a problem! We will do this instead!