Why does it matter how to write an essay about yourself? At school, this activity shows the level of student’s writing. In college, it predetermines the destiny of a student as it depends on the quality of essay about yourself whether he or she will enter the higher educational institution. The article explores the best ways to write a winning essay for school level and college/university level (personal statement).
Having problems with writing an essay? Stop searching for the solution - open the website of the certified team of academic writers and place an order to obtain a custom paper of any type!
Learn Why and How to Write an Essay about Yourself
In the academic world, 5 or 3 paragraph essay about yourself may refer to one of the options:
- Reflective paper
- Application paper
The 1st one is something teachers ask school students to write to share the impressions on a specific book, movie, summer vacations, experience, etc. an application paper is more responsible. It could become a ticket to the target college or university. The main idea is to prove a particular candidate is the best one to join the target institution through stressing his skills, knowledge, experience, and potential contribution to the chosen field of study.
No matter whether a student wants to apply to a community college, graduate school, or extracurricular programs, he/she should know how to start a college admission essay.
How to Start an Essay about Yourself?
An introduction is the face of the applicant. It is impossible to catch an eye of the admission officer without learning how to start an admission essay. It should be powerful to make the audience read it from A to Z. Mind several elements of the successful, killer introduction:
- An engaging opening sentence (hook sentence). It should catch an eye and stimulate the reader’s appetite.
- An impressive episode from the candidate’s life to illustrate the insight.
- Provide solid sensory information of the premium quality to make your reader intrigued.
- Add an insightful pivot towards the bigger point made in the paper. The significant piece relates a personal story from the introduction to the body where the writer interprets what the experience has contributed to the writer’s life and the way it influenced personality.
In many cases, experts recommend writing the introduction at the end. To come up with the brilliant opening paragraph, a writer should:
- Decide on the story to tell in the entire paper;
- Decide on the main point to share (message to deliver);
- Think about the traits that make you and your story unique.
Work in reverse order! Think about the topic 1st, but add an introduction and catchy title once you are done with the body and conclusion. The event a person choose should somehow relate to the chosen field of study.
Discover the way to Construct a Good Conclusion for an Essay about Yourself
We should discuss a good conclusion for an admission essay. Start with summarizing the main ideas. Remind the target reader about the main events. It means a writer should list the main 2-4 points (arguments) of the body section. Then, he/she should paraphrase a thesis statement. Reflect on the main ideas of the paper and end up with one more powerful hook to make the reader remember your words and think about the described events.
That is the way to work on an introduction to an essay about yourself.
10 Good Hooks for Essays about Yourself
We have recalled the importance of the opening line. What are some good writing hooks for essays?
- A writer may start with the thesis statement instead of placing it at the end of the opening paragraph;
- If the story relates to the work of a favorite writer like Mark Twain, try to select a particular quote from one of his stories and use it to illustrate the paper;
- A writer may quote distinguished people who shared some witty ideas (it could be a political figure, sportsman, or pop star);
- It is possible to set a scene as famous world writers do;
- If your story is not kind of dramatic, include an anecdote or joke to make them laugh;
- Numbers & statistics work well if a writer plans to join a business or scientific program;
- A common misconception people may have is another way to attract attention;
- Many admission officers love contradictions in the beginning - recall how you used to write argumentative/persuasive pieces;
- A rhetorical question is a winning hook in most situations;
- A writer may use one of the multiple literary tools like metaphors or allegories to start a 3 paragraph essay.
Tips on How to Write an Essay about Yourself
No matter if a student wants to find out how to write a 5 paragraph essay about yourself or 3 paragraph reflective paper, he/she should follow these tips to succeed.
Write in simple words. Do not try to apply all the vocabulary words - avoid tautology. Avoid inserting words or idioms the meaning of which you do not understand not to look a fool.
Make sure the story fits the prompt. If there is a prompt offered by the teacher or specific educational institution, recall a personal story that has something to do with the proposed essay topics. Avoid the stories without any lesson learned.
Check if the story has a qualitative plot. To do that, create a checklist made of:
- The story’s start & end;
- People who take part in the plot development;
- Subjects and objects that had an impact on the story’s conclusion;
- Particular details a writer remembers about the described episode.
- Revise the paper. Reread the final text several times to detect and fix grammar, spelling, & punctuation mistakes and replace plagiarized text
15 Outstanding Essay Topics
- Personal fears & their roots
- My best friend
- Describing favorite meals
- Discussing the home pet
- Explaining the reasons to love Christmas
- The best color of personal root
- The craziest life in a life
- Project a tree house of your dream
- Most preferred outfit and what it stresses
- The most curious thing about the writer
- Interpreting your name
- Discussing favorite book or movie
- Describing the dream place to attend on holidays
- Explaining the career of your dream
- A thing you would like to invent
A Stunning Essay about Yourself Example
The last thing to include in the article to make it complete is an essay about yourself example.
“The social work at high school has attracted me since I remember my days between the school bullies. I fight for justice and equality. Bullying is a thing most adults underestimate. The fact it has led more than 11% of teenagers to suicide over the course of last year is a warning sign. I suffered from this sort of violence in my worst school years, and it had a negative effect on my mental health. It shaped my view of the word. By continuing my work in the field of social science, I would like to become a social worker to help young students one day too.”
After reading the helpful tips and several examples, a writer may have a better understanding of the ways to prepare a strong personal statement. What if you have any doubts? Send us your draft for editing or order an admission paper from scratch without wasting much money!